Every wonder why you sometimes feel frustrated with the amount of detail a colleague is providing to you? Or why working for a manager that doesn’t provide explicit direction is confusing? Or are you a leader thinking about the culture in your organization? The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator can help you understand your own preferences and those of others. Knowing your personality style is the first step in exploring and understanding your own likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses, possible career preferences, and compatibility with those you work and live with.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) is based on Carl Jung’s theory of psychological type. Isabel B. Myers and Katherine Briggs ( a mother daughter team) expanded on Jung’s concepts and developed an instrument to help people identify their personality preferences. Their instrument, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment, provides a structured, systematic way of recognizing individual differences and, further, helps leaders understand how their individual preferences affect their leadership style.
It indicates your personality preferences in four dimensions:
- Where you focus your attention – Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I)
- The way you take in information – Sensing (S) or INtuition (N)
- How you make decisions – Thinking (T) or Feeling (F)
- How you deal with the world – Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)
The four letters that make up your personality type can help you to understand yourself and your interactions with others.
No one personality type is “best” or “better” than any other one. Knowing your style and that of your team can help:
- Increase acceptance of differences at work
- Provide a common language with which to talk about differences
- Recognize which team members are skilled at completing particular tasks. In this way, the team can better assign tasks and work together to achieve goals.
If you are interested in taking the MBTI Assessment and receive an assessment coaching session? Please complete the contact form below and you will be contacted by Marga Biller, a certified MBTI Assessor and Coach.
Error: Contact form not found.